Zabaglione, Pan Seared Scallops or Chicken Thighs with Brown Butter Sage Sauce, and Wild Mushroom Risotto
Serves: 4 - 6
Ingredients for Zabaglione with Mixed Berries:
- 8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dry marsala
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipped cream
- 1 pint blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and/or black berries
Procedure for Zabaglione with Mixed Berries:
1. Put the egg yolks, the marsala, and then the sugar into a large stainless-steel bowl. Set the bowl over a large saucepan filled with 1 inch of barely simmering water. Using a hand-held electric mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat the egg-yolk mixture until it is hot, and the mixture forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted, 5 to 8 minutes. Don't cook the zabaglione for too long, or it will curdle.
2. Beat half a cup of heavy cream just until it holds firm peaks. When the zabaglione is done, remove the bowl from the heat and continue beating until it's cool. Fold the cooled zabaglione into the whipped cream.
3. Put the berries in stemmed glasses or in bowls. Top with the hot zabaglione and either serve the dessert immediately or refrigerate it for up to six hours.
Ingredients for Pan Seared Scallops or Chicken Thighs with Brown Butter Sage Sauce:
- 1 pound dry sea scallops or 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or other high smoke point oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 small sage leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- lemon wedges for serving (optional)
Procedure for Pan Seared Scallops or Chicken Thighs with Brown Butter Sage Sauce :
1. Preheat a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
2. If cooking scallops, pat them very dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the sea scallops with salt and pepper, to season. When the pan is hot, add the oil, then drop in your scallops, giving them enough room in between so they don’t steam each other. The scallops should make a sizzling noise when you put them in the pan. Cook the scallops for 2 minutes, making sure not to move them or touch them at all. Flip the scallops over with a pair of tongs and let the scallops cook for 1 more minute. Remove the scallops from the pan to rest.
3. If cooking chicken thighs, place the chicken in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, place the chicken in hot pan. Sear for 6 - 8 mins on medium high heat and flip to finish cooking. Remove the chicken from pan, cover with aluminum foil, and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
4. In the same skillet, add the butter and the garlic with the sage until the butter is fragrant and nutty, about 3 minutes – golden brown, season with salt and pepper and pour to dress the scallops or chicken.
5. Serve with lemon wedges, optional.
Ingredients for Wild Mushroom Risotto:
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Procedure for Wild Mushroom Risotto:
1. In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
2. Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid and set aside.
3. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is al dente, about 15 - 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.