Winter Vegetable Soup with Green Apple Slaw
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 40 min
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 medium celery root (about 1 ½ pounds), peeled and diced in ½ inch cubes
- 1 pound parsnips, cut in ½ inch thick rondelles
- 1 pound spinach, chiffonade
- 1 – 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Slaw:
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, julienned
- 2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 small lemon, zest and juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- To make the soup: Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until they’re becoming translucent. Toss in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until it is aromatic then add in the barley. Toast the barley for 2 minutes before pouring in the vegetable broth, water, herbs and bay leaves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then add the smoked paprika, celery root and parsnips. Lower to a simmer and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the celery root and parsnips are fork tender.
- To make the slaw: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed. Taste and adjust with more lemon juice or salt as needed.
- To finish the soup stir in the spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Taste and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl of soup with a full-fingered pinch of the slaw.