Wild Salmon with Pearl Couscous and Tomatoes
Ingredients for Tomatoes:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 whole fresh oregano leaves plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Ingredients for Couscous:Ingredients for Salmon:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1½ cups pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch salt
- 4 (6 - ounce) pieces wild salmon fillet with skin (or chicken breasts or white fish)
- 3/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted and quartered lengthwise
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in oil and heat until quite hot.
- Add tomatoes and sauté.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Deglaze with lemon juice. Add chicken stock along with the sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce until tomatoes are softened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the oregano and lemon zest. Serve over couscous and salmon.
- Heat olive oil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then toast couscous, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and pale golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and salt and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and couscous is al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Season the salmon with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering.
- Cook the salmon, without moving, skin side up, until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip the fillets and reduce the heat to medium. Continue cooking until done to your liking, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Serve over couscous, topped with tomatoes.