Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies
Servings: 12 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 4 TBSP (50 grams) Raw (Turbinado) Sugar
- 1/2 Cup (95 grams) Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup (115 grams) Unsalted Butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup (95 grams) Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup (25 grams) Finely Chopped Nut of your choice (I like walnuts)
- 1 1/2 Cups (120 grams) Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup (6 ounces) Chocolate Chips, or Semisweet Chocolate (chopped into chunks)
- Flaky Sea Salt (optional)
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large mixing bowl (if using a hand mixer), beat the sugars, butter and salt until lighter in texture. Stop the mixer, then scrape the sides of the bowl as needed with a spatula- then continue mixing for approximately 3 to 5 minutes. (Small peaks of butter should pull from the side of the bowl as the paddle or beaters pass.)
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix baking soda, baking powder, and whole wheat flour to combine them evenly. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the butter mixture, and beat to combine. Don’t over mix! Stop when the dry ingredients are about half way incorporated into the butter mixture.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of your mixing bowl again with the spatula, then add the chopped nuts, rolled oats and chocolate. Beat the mixture again until those ingredients are evenly distributed and the remaining flour has disappeared.
- Divide the cookie dough evenly into 12 mounds (about 3 tablespoons each) on your prepared baking sheet. Give them room to spread out as they bake - 2 to 3 inches apart. Add a small pinch of sea salt to the top of each cookie if using.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating halfway through the baking time if needed to ensure even results. Remove from the oven when the cookies are browned all over and the edges are just set - the centers will still seem a bit soft. Let them cool on the baking sheet for approximately 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
Baked cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.