Vegetable Thai Curry
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 3 - 14 ounce cans full fat coconut milk, divided
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups rice, such as Jasmine or Basmati
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced or grated
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 pint shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small head broccoli, broken into small florets
- 2 tablespoons prepared red or green Thai curry paste
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- fresh basil, optional
- fresh mint, optional
- fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine one can of the coconut milk with 1 ¼ cup of water in a saucepot and bring to a simmer. Pour the rice into an oven safe dish then pour the hot coconut milk and water over the rice; add one tablespoon of butter and a large sprinkling of salt and cover loosely with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let steam for five minutes before removing the foil. Fluff with a fork and add the zest and juice of one lime; taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter or coconut oil in a pot. Saute the onion, garlic, ginger and carrots over medium high heat for 5 minutes then add the zucchini and peppers. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes then add the mushrooms and broccoli. Stir in the curry paste.
- Pour in the last can of coconut milk along with the tamari, vinegar and honey. Add the zest and juice of the last lime and a pinch of chili flakes.
- Pour in stock or water to achieve desired soup consistency and cook until hot. Plate over rice and top with freshly torn herbs.