Tuscan White Bean Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 2 – 14 ounce cans Cannellini beans
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks fresh rosemary, leaves roughly chopped
- 6 to 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock (depending on the consistency you desire)
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnishing
- In the bowl of a food processor, or a mixing bowl with a masher, place 1 cup of beans and the liquid from one of the cans of beans. Process or smash until you have a puree. Drain the liquid from the second can of beans. Set aside.
- Place a large Dutch oven or saucepot on medium heat. Place the pancetta in the pan and cook until the fat has mostly rendered out, approximately 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pancetta is browned and crispy.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the leeks and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until the leeks and onion are translucent. Add the carrots, celery, garlic and rosemary; cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the vegetables are aromatic and beginning to soften.
- Stir in the bean puree and beans followed by the stock and the 2 bay leaves. Bring the soup to a boil then lower to a simmer. Simmer gently for 35 minutes. Add more stock as needed to thin it out the soup.
- Taste and season with kosher salt and black pepper as needed.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.