Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 2 - 3 hours
Cook Time: 12 - 15 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Dough:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (preferably Cerasota or King Arthur)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cornmeal, for dusting
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 - 14 ounce can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- dried oregano, to taste
- Romano cheese, grated, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
- green bell pepper, diced
- Italian sausage
- black olives, sliced
- white onion, diced
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Whisk flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer to combine. Stir the cold water and olive oil together. Using a dough hook on the stand mixer on slow speed, slowly pour the water/oil into the bowl with the dry ingredients. It will form a shaggy ball and clear the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to the counter and knead a few times then shape it into a ball. Brush a medium bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Leave the dough on the counter to rise until it has doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
- About 45 minutes before the dough is ready, place your pizza stone in the oven on the bottom rack and heat the oven to 475°F. If you have two pizza stones, place one on the top third and one on the bottom third. If you don't have two, place the stone in the top third.
- While the dough is rising and the oven is heating, gather your pizza sauce ingredients and toppings.
- When the dough is ready, transfer to a lightly floured counter. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and sprinkle each with flour. Using your fingertips, form each half into a small round disk, about 7-8 inches. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into about 12 inch circles (if you’re using a baking sheet, into a rectangle), using additional flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Transfer the dough to a baking sheet or 12” pizza pan.
- Top the dough with about ½ cup tomato sauce, starting in the center then working your way to the outer edges. Sprinkle with dried oregano, parmesan, salt and pepper. Add cheese (about 1 ½-2 cups) to the center in a mound then move to the outer edges in an even layer; top with your desired toppings.
- Place pizza on the bottom stone, if using, and cook for 12-15 minutes. It’s ready when the cheese is starting to get golden brown.
- Cut the pizza in squares and eat hot with crushed red pepper and extra parmesan sprinkles!