Thai Chicken Fried Rice
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Chicken Fried Rice:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound RANGER® the Free Range Chicken breasts from Draper Valley Farms, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cold, cooked jasmine rice (preferably day old)
- 1 large egg, scrambled
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tamari or mushroom soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Avocado or canola oil, as needed
- Thai basil, torn, for garnish (or mint and basil combined)
- Fresh cilantro, torn, for garnish
- Lime wedges (optional)
Ingredients for Chillies in Fish Sauce:
- 5 thai chilies, thinly sliced (less if you don’t like a lot of spice)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- Juice from 1 lime
- Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken and fry for 1 minute or so, until the edges begin to change color.
- Add 2 cups of the rice to the pan and stir, allowing the rice to soak up the juices from the chicken, for 1 minute. Push all the rice to one side of the pan and add the scrambled egg, stirring until the egg is just set. Stir the egg into the rice and chicken.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of rice, soy sauce and sugar. Stir until the sauce is combined with the rice.
- Add the onion and green onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, followed by the tomatoes. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the tomatoes are just warmed through. Remove from the heat.
- For the Chilies in Fish Sauce: In a small bowl combine the thai chilies, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Plate the rice and garnish with Thai basil, cilantro and lime wedges. Serve the Chilies in Fish Sauce on the side.