Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
*your Chef will lead you through all the techniques so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 sheet puffed pastry, thawed
- 1 ⅕ pounds of apples, such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp
- Half of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons of water
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- flaky salt, optional
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- Using a 9 inch round cake pan as a guide, trim a circle from the thawed puffed pastry using a paring knife.
- Peel and quarter the apples (use a melon baller or small spoon to remove the core). Squeeze the juice from the lemon over the apples then set aside briefly while the caramel is made.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Warm the water and sugar over medium heat until it starts to brown and melt. Stir using a rubber spatula until the color is even and golden. Dot in the butter and continue to stir to help break up any lumps.
- Add the apples and stir until thickly coated with caramel. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the caramel has reduced slightly. Stir as the apples cook to ensure that the caramel does not burn
- Arrange the apples into the 9 inch cake pan in concentric circles, ensuring that they are tightly packed. Pour the rest of the caramel over the apples.
- Lay the puffed pastry on top of the apples and gently tuck down the sides with a clean rubber spatula. Bake for 45-55 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and firm. Let cool in the pan for about one hour then invert onto a serving plate.
- Slice and serve with a sprinkle of flaky salt and vanilla ice cream.