Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
GIVEAWAY TIME! We are giving EVERYONE who attends live class and cooks along a FREE monthly subscription to our cooking platform!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Topping:
- 1 ½ pounds (about 2 large sweet potatoes), cubed (about 6 cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoons butter (ghee or coconut oil can be used)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, diced
- ½ pound cremini or button mushrooms, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves roughly chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Steam or boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron or oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Place the ground turkey in the skillet and cook, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the turkey, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the onion and carrots and cook for 7 to 9 minutes or until the onions turn translucent and the carrots soften slightly. Add the bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 10 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, rosemary, salt, and black pepper and stir to combine. Cook until the tomato paste turns a deep, dark maroon then stir in the water. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Lower the heat to medium while you make the topping.
- In the bowl of a food processor or a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked sweet potatoes, butter, chili powder, cumin and salt and process or smash until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Spread the sweet potatoes over the top of the turkey mixture and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes have browned in spots.