Summer Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons, with our buddies at Breville
We're teaming up with our buddies at Breville to bring you this velvety smooth soup, thanks to the Breville Bluicer! We're topping it with these Cabot cheese covered croutons for the perfect crunchy finish!
Serves: 2 - 4
- 2 pounds vine ripe tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 onion, cut into 2 pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, still in their skin
- 3 sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 1 unsliced loaf of brioche bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice 1½ pounds of the tomatoes in half and place cut-side up on the baking sheet. Add the onion and garlic cloves and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20 - 25 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and the onion is charred.
- Meanwhile run the remaining 1/2 pound of tomatoes through a juicer. This should yield about 1 cup of tomato juice.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat to make the grilled cheese croutons.
- Slice off the ends of the loaf of bread and place on the heated grilled pan until toasted, then set aside.
- Next, slice off four 1-inch thick pieces from the brioche loaf. Spread some of the mayonnaise onto each of the bread slices. Place two of the slices, mayonnaise side down, onto the grill pan, then top both with the shredded cheddar cheese. Finish with the other slice of bread, mayonnaise side up.
- Cook the grilled cheese sandwiches for 3 - 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Remove to a cutting board and cut off the edges of the sandwiches and set aside.
- While the roasted tomatoes are still warm add them to a blender along with the onion. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the garlic skin and add to the blender along with 1 cup of the tomato juice and the thyme leaves.
- Remove the center plastic piece of the blender lid and place a folded up towel over the opening*. Blend on low speed, gradually increasing to medium speed until smooth. Add in the toasted bread ends and the crusts from the grilled cheese sandwiches and blend on medium until full combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve the soup, ladle into bowls and drizzle with olive oil. Cut both of the grilled cheese sandwiches into 4 equal squares and serve as a crouton in the tomato soup.
*When blending hot ingredients, it is important to create a way for the steam to escape while blending. This prevents pressure from building up and the hot liquid from exploding when removing the lid. Use a clean kitchen towel that has been folded over and place it over the open area. The towel may get dirty but you will stay safe in the kitchen.