Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cakes & a Blood Orange Aperol Spritz Cocktail
Makes: 6 cakes
Ingredients for Cakes:
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced rhubarb (about 1 stalk)
- 1 cup diced strawberries (about 6 large strawberries)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons blood orange zest, divided
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- non-stick jumbo muffin tin
Procedure for Cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Equally divide the melted butter into the 6 jumbo muffin cups.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of blood orange zest, and 1 tablespoon of flour. Divide equally into the bottoms of the muffin tins, over the melted butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup all purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the 3/4 cup of unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the whole eggs and egg yolks one at a time, being sure to scrape the bowl between each addition. Beat in the remaining teaspoon of blood orange zest and vanilla extract.
- With the stand mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients a little at a time until just incorporated, being sure not to overmix.
- Use a portion scoop to equally divide the batter amongst the jumbo muffin cups, about 1/3 cup of batter per cake. Smooth out the tops of the batter and then place into the oven to bake.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until the cakes are cooked through and the center springs back slightly to the touch. If the tops begin to brown too quickly, lightly place a piece of aluminum foil over the tops for the remainder of the bake.
- When finished, remove from the oven and let rest for 2 minutes. Place a baking sheet or cutting board over the top of the muffin pan and carefully flip the pan over, releasing the cakes onto the baking sheet.
- Serve warm or cooled.
Ingredients for Cocktail:
- 3 ounces prosecco
- 2 ounces blood orange juice
- 2 ounces Aperol
- blood orange supremes, to garnish
Procedure for Cocktail:
- Fill a glass with ice and add the prosecco, blood orange juice, and Aperol.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with blood orange supremes.