Strawberry Cheddar Hand Pies, with our Buddies at Cabot
Once again, we're teaming up with our awesome buddies at Cabot Cheese to bring you this incredible event. We're makin' these adorable, delicious hand pies with strawberries and . . . wait for it . . . cheddar cheese! You heard us right, it's a match made in Heaven!
Makes: 6 hand pies
Ingredients for Cheddar Pie Dough:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded and chilled
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 ice water, plus 1 tablespoon if needed
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
Ingredients for Strawberry Filling:
- 1½ cups diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Ingredients for Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Method for Hand Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the dough, place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse twice to combine.
- Add in the cold cubed butter and shredded Cabot cheese and pulse about 10 times, or until the mixture begins to look like coarse sand.
- Pour in the vinegar and then with the mixer running on low, slowly add in the ice water just until the dough begins to come together. If the dough is too dry, add an additional tablespoon of water.
- Turn the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and then use the plastic wrap to form the dough into a flat disk. Wrap the dough tightly and place in the refrigerator to chill for about 15 minutes
- To make the strawberry filling place all the filling ingredients into a bowl and stir until the strawberries are fully coated.
- When the dough is chilled, place it on a lightly dusted work surface and dust the top with a bit of flour. Roll the dough out into a 10 inch by 15 inch rectangle, about 1/8 in thick. Cut the dough into 6 squares that are 5 x 5 inches each.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the strawberry filling into the center of each of the squares. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges with the egg wash. Grab one corner of the square and fold it onto the opposite corner to create a triangle shape.
- Press around the edges of the dough, sealing and pushing out any air pockets. Crimp the edges of the hand pies with a fork to create an extra seal, then place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the hand pies with the egg wash and then cut 3 tiny slits into the center of the top of each hand pie.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 - 22 minutes, until golden brown. When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Spoon the glaze equally over all of the cooled hand pies. Sprinkle lemon zest over the tops of the hand pies and allow the glaze to set a bit before serving.