Strawberry Cheddar Crumble
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 TBSP Softened Butter or Baking Spray (for the pan)
- 4 Pints Fresh Strawberries (rinsed and sliced a scant 1/2-inch thick)
- 2 Pints Fresh Strawberries AND 1 ½ Cups your Choice Fruit (Plums, Peaches, etc...) or Berries
- 1/3 Cup (65 grams) Lightly Packed Light Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 2 TBSP Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
Ingredients for Crumble Topping:
- 5 TBSP Butter, melted and cooled (or neutral oil)
- 3/4 Cup Lightly Packed Light Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour (or 1 to 1 gluten free flour)
- 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- ¾ Cup Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Splash of Milk (or Milk Alternative), as needed
- Turbinado Sugar (optional) for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly butter or spray a 9 inch by 13 inch pan or 10 inch oven safe skillet.
- In a medium bowl combine the strawberries (and other fruit, if using), sugar, corn starch, ground cardamom and kosher salt. Taste and adjust with more salt or sugar, if needed.
- Transfer the berry mixture to your baking dish.
- In a medium bowl add the melted butter (or oil), sugar and vanilla extract. Stir to combine and then add the flour, oats, baking powder and salt. Use your hands (for best results) or a spoon and mix until just combined. Add the Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and mix just until combined. If the mixture seems too dry, add a splash of milk. We’re looking for a crumble topping that just barely sticks together when you pinch it.
- Place topping over the fruit, squeezing together larger pieces mixed with smaller ones for the best texture. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over the top (if using).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the fruit is bubbling around the edges and top is a light golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, preferably with a scoop of ice cream.