Spinach Feta Burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes, plus 15 minutes chilling
Cook Time: 10 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 2 - 12 ounce packages of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 small red onion, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 ounces feta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground balck pepper, to taste
- avocado oil, for frying
- 4 burger buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Open the thawed spinach packages and squeeze as much excess water as you can out through a colander. Place the spinach in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Slice a few rings from the red onion and set aside as burger toppings, and dice the rest of the red onion and add to the spinach bowl. Mince the garlic, crumble the feta and add both to the spinach mixture. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt (remember that feta is salty), and plenty of pepper. Crack in the egg and mix together with your hands until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Lay out the panko in a shallow dish and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Form patties with the spinach mixture and dredge lightly in the panko. Lay in a single layer on a parchment lined sheet tray and chill while you prepare the ranch dressing.
- Whisk the mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl. Add the sour cream and the buttermilk (or yogurt) and whisk in the lemon zest and juice. Add in the dried dill, parsley, garlic and onion along with a few pinches of salt and several turns of black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat a few tablespoons of avocado oil over medium high heat. When the oil is shimmering and hot place a few chilled patties in the pan, laying away from you to avoid hot oil splatter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Flip and do the same on the other side.
- Split the buns, dress generously with the ranch dressing, layer on the red onion slices, some sliced tomato and the spinach feta burger. Serve immediately.