Spiced Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes: 12 rolls
Ingredients for the Dough:
1 cup milk, warmed just to the touch
1 package active dry yeast (2¼ teaspoons)
1/4 sugar, divided
4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
Ingredients for the Filling:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, slightly melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Frosting:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1½ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Procedure to Make the Dough Before Club Meeting:
- To the warmed milk, add yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar and stir together. Let stand for 5 minutes, until the yeast begins to foam on the top of the milk.
- To a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, melted butter, and yeasted milk mixture. Start with the mixer running on low and gradually increase the speed to medium as the dough starts to come together.
- Change to the dough hook and allow the stand mixer to knead the dough for 5 - 7 minutes.
- When the dough is smooth and elastic, place in a bowl covered with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap, for an hour or until doubled in size.
- The dough at this point can be punched down to release the excess air. If not making the rolls immediately, place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and into the refrigerator overnight.
Procedure to Make Cinnamon Rolls During Club Meeting:
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
- To assemble the cinnamon rolls, make the filling by combining all of the filling ingredients together into a small bowl to create a paste.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out to a rectangle roughly 24 inches by 15 inches and 1/4 inch thick.
- With the long side of the rectangle facing towards you, gently spread the filling across the surface of the dough, being sure to spread to all of the edges.
- Starting at the side closest to you, begin to roll the dough up, being sure to keep the dough relatively tight to create nice spirals.
- Cut the rolls into 12 equal pieces about 2 inches in width and place in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place until rolls have rested and the dough is supple, about 20 minutes.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until the cinnamon rolls are lightly golden brown and the centers are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, making the cream cheese frosting. Add the cream cheese and butter to a large bowl and beat using a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until combined. Finish by stirring in the maple syrup.
- When the spiced rolls have finished baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before frosting.