Smoked Brisket Burger with Envy Apple Fries
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 - 2 ½ pound brisket with fat cap, chilled and cut into 1 inch cubes*
- 4 slices sharp yellow cheddar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 ENVY apples, sliced paper thin
- 4 pretzel buns
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ENVY apples, sliced into strips to serve
- meat grinder, kept in the freezer for at least an hour
- charcoal grill
- lump charcoal
- 2 cups applewood chips, soaked overnight and then drained
*Alternatively, have the butcher at your local grocery store coarse grind the brisket meat ahead of time.Procedure:
- Preheat a charcoal grill to 300°F and push the coals to one side of the grill. Place the drained apple chips on top of the hot coals. Allow the apple chips to begin to smoke.
- Grind the chilled cubed brisket in a meat grinder fitted with a coarse dye attachment.
- Divide the meat evenly into four 1/2 pound burgers. Season generously with salt and pepper on all sides of the meat.
- When the grill has reached the optimal temperature, place the brisket burgers on the cooler side of the grill and cook for 10 minutes per side. Before taking the burgers off of the grill, add a slice of sharp cheddar to each burger and allow them to melt.
- While the burgers are cooking, prepare the horseradish mayonnaise by stirring together the mayonnaise, fresh horseradish, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season to taste.
- While the burgers rest, place the buns on the hot part of the grill for about a minute to lightly toast.
- To build the burgers, spread some of the mayonnaise on the bottom of the toasted buns. Place the burger on top of the bottom bun and pile on the thinly sliced ENVY apples. Finish with the top pretzel bun.
- Serve burgers with freshly sliced ENVY apple fries on the side.