Smash Burgers with Kimchi Mayo
Makes: 4 burgers
Ingredients for the Burger:
- 1 pound ground beef – 20% fat (80/20 is usually on the package or ask your butcher)
- 4 potato rolls or sesame hamburger buns
- 4 slices of American cheese
Ingredients for Kimchi Mayo:
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise (Sir Kennington's and Dukes are my go to)
- 1 tablespoon kimchi juice
- ¼ cup sliced cabbage kimchi, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 scallions, trimmed and cut into roughly, 2” inch pieces – then sliced lengthwise
- olive or avocado oil
- Preheat a skillet or griddle on medium low while we prep everything else (we aren’t grilling these so you need a flat pan).
- Drain your kimchi, and rough chop your kimchee. Add to the mayo and stir with sesame oil and kimchi juice – set aside.
- Toss the scallion pieces with oil and add to the pan – let them fall and don’t disturb for about 4 minutes.
- Toss once and let them sear again for another minute.
- Remove beef from fridge, we will make two different sized patties so they stack perfectly. Grab a plum size piece of beef place on the griddle. Then grab a lime size piece and place on the griddle.
- Sprinkle the tops of the portions with salt and pepper and place seasoned side down on your griddle or pan.
- Place and smash with a burger press or the back of a pan or spatula.
- Season that side with salt and pepper & sear for about 3 - 4 min.
- Flip add cheese and sear for another minute.
- In the meantime – smear top bun with kimchee mayo.
- Add burger to the bottom bun, top with charred scallions and top bun.