Shrimp and Chorizo Paella
Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
*your Chef will lead you through all the techniques so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Paella:
- 1/2 teaspoon or a small pinch of saffron threads (or ½ teaspoon ground turmeric)
- 1/4 cup chicken or veggie broth + 3 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces of dry cured Spanish chorizo, small dice (you can omit this or use any dry cured meat, such as soppressata or salami)
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 4 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (14½-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups uncooked short-grain white rice (such as Spanish bomba or Italian arborio)
- 1 cup frozen sweet or petit peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Aioli:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 8 ounces (1 liquid measuring cup or 100 mL) olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together saffron and 1/4 cup of the broth. Let it stand at room temperature while we start everything else – at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add chorizo; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate lined with paper towels; reserve drippings in skillet.
- DO NOT wipe the skillet clean. Add onion and bell pepper to skillet and cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and smoked paprika; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and rice; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost fully absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in saffron mixture and remaining 3 cups broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high.
- Return chorizo to the skillet, stirring lightly to partially cover with rice. Cook, uncovered and undisturbed, over medium-low, rotating skillet occasionally to evenly distribute heat, until the rice is tender and liquid is almost fully absorbed, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can bake this in a 350F oven for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- While the paella cooks, make the aioli: In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolk, garlic, Dijon and lemon juice. While still whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. It’s important to add the olive oil slowly at the start and whisk continuously to ensure emulsification. Taste and season with salt and more lemon juice, if desired.
- Add the shrimp to the paella and, using a spoon, gently nestle them down into the rice (do not stir it though!). Cook, uncovered, for about 3 minutes or until you see the shrimp beginning to turn pink. Alternatively, return the pan to the oven and cook until the shrimp is pink and cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove the paella from the heat; cover and let stand at room temperature until liquid is fully absorbed and shrimp are cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley, aioli and lemon wedges.