Sweet & Savory Dutch Babies
We're makin' Dutch Babies, Baby! Chef Ben is all caught up in the Dutch Baby craze and he's dying to cook with you. Join his FREE virtual event to make either a savory or a sweet baby, OR BOTH . . . we won't make you choose!
Ingredients for One Dutch Baby:
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Topping Ingredients for One Savory Dutch Baby:
- 2 cups sautéed kale
- 4 strips crispy bacon
- 1 cup aged cheddar
Topping Ingredients for One Sweet Dutch Baby:
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Place a medium ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, in center of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Let skillet heat at least 25 minutes total (prepare your toppings while you wait).
- Blend eggs in a blender on high speed until very frothy, about 1 minute. With motor running, gradually stream in milk, then 2 tablespoons butter; blend another 30 seconds.
- Add flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper and blend just to combine. (This batter doubles well if you want to scale up.)
- Carefully remove skillet from oven and swirl remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet to coat.
- Immediately pour batter into skillet (butter will brown quickly, so have batter at the ready to prevent burning).
- Bake pancake until puffed and brown around edges, 20–25 minutes. It will begin to deflate as soon as it comes out.
- Prep topping ingredients. Top as desired.