Salmon Benedict with Chive and Asparagus
Ingredients for Lemony Hollandaise:
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 12 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 12 asparagus spears, each cut into thirds
- 8 ounces salmon fillet
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or distilled vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- 4 English muffins, split
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- To make the hollandaise, place the egg yolks in a medium stainless steel bowl, set over (not in) a pot of simmering water. Whisk the yolks until pale yellow and fluffy. Slowly whisk in the clarified butter a few tablespoons at a time, until thickened. Add the lemon juice, salt, zest, black pepper and cayenne. Cover and keep in a warm spot until ready to use.
- For the benedict, heat the oil in a medium cast-iron pan set over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Add the asparagus to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until just tender and remove from pan.
- Sprinkle the salmon with salt and pepper and place top-side down in the hot pan. Cook until deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, reduce the heat to medium and cook until golden brown on the second side and medium-well doneness, another 3 to 5 minutes. Remove to a plate to rest the salmon.
- Line a plate with paper towels. Fill a medium saucepan halfway with cold water and add the vinegar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Crack each egg into separate ramekins. Stir the water, then carefully slip a few of the eggs into the water and cook until the whites are set and the yolk still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to the paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Repeat for the remaining eggs.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the muffins. Use a fork to break the salmon into large flakes. Butter each muffin half and season with salt and pepper. Top each half with asparagus spears, flaked salmon, and poached egg. Spoon some hollandaise sauce over the tops and garnish with chopped chives. Serve immediately.