Serves: 8 (depending on how big or small you cut them)
10 graham crackers (give or take a few)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (65 grams, may vary by brands) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 - 10 ounce bag large marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8x8 inch pan (or 9x13, but the brownies will be thinner) with parchment or foil and set aside.
- Place the graham crackers in the bottom of the pan. Feel free to break them into pieces and fit them in like a puzzle to ensure there are as few gaps as possible.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the applesauce, sugar, and cocoa powder. Add the salt and vanilla and mix.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to mix in completely before adding the second egg.
- Fold in the flour, mixing just until the flour is completely incorporated (this ensures a tender brownie).
- Carefully spread the batter evenly over the graham crackers. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out relatively clean.
- Allow brownies to cool for at least 5 minutes then top with marshmallows and torch like you would over a campfire. Cut into pieces-these will be gooey and messy, as any good s’more is-and enjoy.