Rough Puff Pastry Workshop
- 2½ cups (300 grams) all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3½ tablespoons (50 grams) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup (100 – 150 milliliters) chilled water
- 8 tablespoons (120 grams) unsalted butter, frozen
Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Rub in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Gradually add enough chilled water (about 4 – 6 tablespoons) to form a dough.
- On a lightly floured counter, roll out the dough to a rectangle. Grate half of the frozen butter over the bottom two thirds of the dough. Fold down the top third and fold up the bottom third as if folding a letter.
- Rotate the folded dough 90 degrees and roll it out into a rectangle again. Repeat the process, grating in the remaining frozen butter and fold as before.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Roll and fold the pastry twice more, each time wrapping the dough in plastic wrap and leaving it to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts after the final fold, wrapping each in plastic wrap and placing in the fridge if using immediately. If you’re going to freeze it then wrap it tightly in two layers of plastic wrap. It can be frozen for up to two months.