Pan Roasted Sausage and Fennel
Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 sweet Italian sausages (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup dry white wine (or one cup of vegetable or chicken broth)
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup large green olives, such as castelvetrano, pitted and crushed with the side of the knife
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 ½ pound fresh fennel, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until shimmering. Carefully lay all the sausages in the pan, turning them occasionally until they’re browned on all sides.
- Add the wine and simmer until it is reduced by half.
- Use tongs to transfer the sausages to a large bowl then pour the wine over the top.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the same skillet, along with the garlic, and cook for about a minute until it is sizzling. Add the crushed red pepper followed by the olives and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the fennel chunks and season with salt. Pour in 2 tablespoons of water and cover to cook, about 20 minutes.
- When the fennel is cooked through, add the sausages back to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes until everything is deep golden brown and caramelized.
- Serve over polenta or roasted potatoes.