Ribeye with Green Peppercorn Sauce and Goat Cheese Polenta
Betz is back baby! Chef Joel, along with our buddies at the Betz Family Winery, levels up this Ribeye with a Green Peppercorn Sauce using the Betz 2015 Pere de Famille, Cabernet Sauvignon. We're pairing the Ribeye with creamy Goat Cheese Polenta and the Betz 2015 Pere de Famille, Cabernet Sauvignon. Cheers!
Ingredients for Goat Cheese Polenta:
- 2 ½ cups no-salt added chicken stock
- 1/2 cup polenta (coarsely ground cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Ribeyes with Green Peppercorn Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 boneless ribeye steak (about 1½ -2 inches thick), at room temperature
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup Betz Family Winery 2015 Pere de Famille, Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
Procedure for Goat Cheese Polenta:
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- While whisking, add the polenta along with about 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered, for 25 - 30 minutes, until the polenta is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter, goat cheese and Parmigiano.
- Stir in the chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Procedure for Ribeye with Green Peppercorn Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Generously season the ribeyes with salt and pepper.
- When the pan is hot and just starting to smoke, add the oil into the pan, followed by the ribeye.
- Cook the ribeye for 3 minutes, until a crust starts to form, and then flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Place the cast iron skillet into the preheated oven and allow the steak to continue to cook for 5 - 8 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- When the steak comes out of the oven, use tongs to transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Meanwhile, carefully place the cast iron skillet back on the stove.
- Add the shallots to the pan, allowing them to cook in the leftover beef drippings. Cook for 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Deglaze the pan by adding in the wine and stirring while scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Allow the wine to reduce for a minute.
- To the pan, add in the green peppercorns and beef stock and bring to a simmer for an additional minute.
- Finish the sauce by adding in the heavy cream and seasoning with salt to taste. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Slice the rested ribeye against the grain and serve over goat cheese polenta and topped with green peppercorn sauce.
- Enjoy with a glass of Betz Family Winery 2015 Pere de Famille, Cabernet Sauvignon.