Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for Pate au Choux Dough:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-5 large eggs
- vegetable or Canola oil (for frying)
- Confectioners sugar
- jam of your choice
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and milk and bring to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the flour and salt. Using a wooden spoon, vigorously mix the dough (panada) until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed to cool the dough. Once you can comfortably touch the bottom of the bowl (room temperature), slowly add one egg at a time, beating after each addition. At the third egg, increase the speed and add remaining eggs.
- Fill a dutch oven or deep pot up with 2 inches of oil and heat to 375F.
- Using a medium size cookie dough scooper, or Tablespoon, scoop the dough into the oil in small batches and cook for 3 minutes on one side until golden brown, flip then cook another three minutes on the other side. Be sure not to crowd the fryer - beignets need plenty of room to move and cook.
- Remove the beignets from the fryer onto a paper towel to drain.
- Serve immediately by dusting a generous amount of confectioners sugar. If desired, you can fill them with jam then dust with confectioners sugar.