Makes: 12 rolls
Ingredients for Dough:
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk (or dairy alternative)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients for Sauce:
1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Procedure for Dough:
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl; stir in milk and olive oil until a soft dough forms. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times. Shape dough into a ball. Cover dough with an inverted bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper, SILPAT or aluminum lightly sprayed with oil.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to a large rectangle about 1/4” thick. Spread tomato sauce in a thin, even layer over the surface with the back of a spoon or spatula, leaving the top 1” empty.
- Spread cheese and any other desired toppings in an even layer.
- Beginning at the bottom roll the dough as tightly as possible (sauce and toppings will most likely fall out, don’t worry! Just push as much back in as you can). Using a sharp knife or floss, cut the roll into 1” wide pieces. Place on a parchment lined sheet tray, leaving at least 1” space between each roll.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.
Procedure for Sauce:
- Place tomatoes in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a microplane or fine grate on a box grater, grate garlic cloves directly into the tomatoes.
- Add dried thyme and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
*If sauce is too acidic, add 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- grated parmesan
- shredded cheddar
- cooked Italian sausage
- finely diced veggies (like bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, olives)