Pistachio Summer Berry Buckle
Servings: one 9 inch square pan
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 - 50 minutes
Ingredients for Pistachio Streusel:
- ¾ cup shelled, unsalted roasted pistachios
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes
Ingredients for Cake:
- 2 cups (240g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¾ cup (149g) granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅔ cup (163g) sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 cups (283g) fresh or frozen berries of your choice, single berry, or a mix
Ingredients for Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 2 - 4 tablespoons sour cream, to taste
Procedure for Pistachio Streusel:
- In a food processor, pulse the pistachios until you get a relatively fine texture. A few larger pieces remaining is ok, avoid over processing to the point of a powder.
- To the bowl of the processor, add the brown sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Pulse until everything is just evenly combined.
- Add in the cubed butter and pulse again until everything is combined thoroughly and the mixture looks a bit like wet sand. Reserve for sprinkling on top of the prepared buckle batter.
Procedure for Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9” square pan with butter or non-stick baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and ground cardamom until evenly combined.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or a large mixing bowl if using a hand blender), beat together sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and lemon zest until smooth. The mixture should be a bit lighter and fluffy.
- Add half the sour cream to the bowl and mix to combine, then add half the flour mixture, again mixing until combined. Repeat with the remaining half of the sour cream and then the remaining half of the flour mixture.
- Gently fold in your berries, being very careful not to break or burst them. Fold until they are equally distributed throughout the batter.
- Pour your batter into the prepared baking pan then sprinkle your streusel mixture evenly over the top.
- Place on the center rack of your preheated oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, checking halfway through in case you need to rotate the pan for even browning. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out cleanly when the cake is done.
- When done, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving. You can serve it right in the pan, or cut it into individual squares for plating. Serve with a dollop of sour cream whipped cream, recipe below.
Procedure for Whipped Cream:
- To a chilled metal mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl, combine your heavy whipping cream and confectioners sugar. If whipping by hand, use a large balloon whisk and whip for 3-5 minutes until medium peaks will form; if you’re using a stand mixer, use the whisk attachment and whip on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, then turn the mixer to medium speed and check every ten seconds for consistency until it becomes medium peaks. Be careful because it’s really easy to over whip your cream in a stand mixer!
- Once your whipping cream is at medium peaks, gently fold or whisk in your sour cream, starting with 2 tablespoons and adding more to taste.