Pistachio Honey Baklava
Note: Please defrost your phyllo dough in the refrigerator overnight before class!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1¼ cup honey
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- 1½ pounds chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces phyllo dough (1 roll of a 2-roll pack), left in the refrigerator overnight to defrost
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Start by adding 1 cup of water, 1 cup sugar, and honey to a saucepan over medium heat and bringing to a boil. Stir until all of the sugar has dissolved and then remove from the heat. Place the lemons slices into the syrup and set aside until completely cool. Remove the Lemon slices when cool.
- To make the baklava filling, combine the chopped pistachios, remaining sugar, ground cinnamon, and kosher salt in a bowl. Toss until everything is combined and set aside.
- Brush the inside of a quarter sheet pan (9x13 inches) generously with butter.
- Remove the thawed phyllo dough from the package and place, rolled out flat, between two clean kitchen towels.
- Working quickly, take one piece of phyllo and lay it in the bottom of the sheet pan. Gently brush the phyllo with butter, being careful not to tear the sheet. Continue this process until you have 6 layers of phyllo.
- Evenly spread ⅓ of the pistachio filling across the top of the phyllo sheets. Then begin to layer the phyllo again with 4 more sheets, brushing with butter between each sheet.
- Spread another ⅓ of the filling and repeat the process with 4 more sheets of phyllo. After spreading the final ⅓ of the filling, top the baklava with 6 more layers of butter-brushed phyllo.
- Before placing it in the oven, cut the baklava into diamonds using a sharp knife, and be sure to cut though all the way to the bottom of the sheet pan.
- Place in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes. When golden brown and crispy, remove from the oven.
- While still hot, spoon all of the cooled syrup over the top of the baklava, allowing it to fully soak in.
- Allow to cool completely and sit for at least an hour before serving.