New Year, Fresh Flavors: Pineapple Chicken Curry with Orange Ginger Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Curry:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 – ½ inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on your preference
- 1 - 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (including the juice)
- 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups forbidden rice, cooked, for serving (optional)
- avocado or canola oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, for garnish (optional)
Ingredients for the Salad Dressing:
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 – ½ inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 honeybell orange, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 6 ounces mixed salad greens
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 honeybell orange, segmented
- 1/2 cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Procedure for the Curry:
- To make the curry: Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with salt and black pepper. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, carefully lay in the chicken thighs. Cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and sear the other side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the onion and carrots to the pot, cooking for about 8 minutes or until the onions are translucent and the carrots have begun to soften. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in all of the spices and stir, cooking for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices and chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pot to release any fond (browned bits) from the bottom. Nestle the chicken thighs in the liquid, pour in the pineapple and stir gently to combine. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, until the chicken is tender and the liquid has reduced by 1/3.
- Add the sugar snap peas and cover, cooking for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and taste; season as needed.
- Serve on top of the forbidden rice, garnished with fresh cilantro.
Procedure for the Salad:
- In the pitcher of a blender combine the scallions, garlic, sesame oil, tamari, vinegar, honey, orange zest and juice and blend on high speed until the scallions, garlic and ginger have broken down. Lower the speed to slow and drizzle in the oil. Once all of the oil has been added, turn the speed back up to high for one more minute to fully emulsify. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- In a large bowl combine the mixed greens, radishes, scallions and orange segments until everything is evenly distributed. Toss the salad with 3 tablespoons of dressing, adding more as needed so the greens are just lightly coated in dressing. Sprinkle with the chopped mixed nuts.
- Serve alongside the curry and rice.