Pecan Crusted Chicken Breast with Sweet Potato Fries and Harvest Salad
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Chicken:
Prep Time: 8 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 4 (6 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Fries:
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 24 min
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, washed, cut into ¼ inch thin matchsticks
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
Ingredients for the Harvest Salad:
Prep Time: 7 min
Cook Time: 2 min
For the apple cider vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped plus more for garnish
- 2 – 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
For the salad:
- 1 – 12 ounce bag mixed baby greens
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons pepitas, toasted
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate arils (seeds)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Procedure for the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Prep a large rimmed baking sheet. For easier cleanup and less sticking, line with parchment paper (optional).
- Place the pecans in a food processor. Pulse until they look like breadcrumbs. Transfer to a rimmed plate.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, stir together the applesauce and mustard. Spoon the applesauce-mustard mixture on top of each breast, spreading it evenly with the back of the spoon. Firmly press the applesauce-mustard side of each chicken breast into the pecans. Place the chicken back on the baking sheet, pecan-crusted side up. Sprinkle any remaining pecans on the chicken; press to adhere. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F. Divide among four dinner plates and serve.
Procedure for the Sweet Potato Fries and Harvest Salad:
- To make the sweet potato fries: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Rinse the sweet potatoes under cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain on paper towels and pat dry. Do your best to thoroughly dry all of the sweet potatoes then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper and salt. Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes and toss to combine. Sprinkle the cornstarch mixture over the potatoes and toss until evenly coated. Transfer to the sheet tray and arrange the potatoes into a single layer, spacing them out as best as possible. If needed, use a second tray (this will give you crispier fries).
- Bake for 12 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the potatoes then bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve hot.
- To make the apple cider vinaigrette: Pour the apple cider vinegar into a small jar with lid or bowl; add a generous pinch of salt and shake or whisk to combine. Taste- the acidity of the vinegar should be balanced a bit with sweet; adjust with more salt if needed. Add the Dijon mustard and olive oil, put the lid on the jar and shake vigorously (or whisk it well in the bowl). Taste again and adjust with more olive oil, salt or mustard, to taste. Add the freshly chopped mint right before dressing the salad (otherwise it will turn brown).
- To put together: In a large bowl toss together the greens, radishes, sugar snap peas, half of the pepitas and half of the pomegranate seeds. Add a few tablespoons of the dressing and toss- you want the greens to be just barely coated with the dressing. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed. Garnish with the remaining pepitas and pomegranate seeds before serving.