Pan Seared Scallops with Brown Butter Sage Sauce, Wild Mushroom Risotto, and Fennel, Orange Cod en Papillote with Fine Herb Salad
Serves: 4 - 6
Ingredients for Scallops:
- 1/2 pound dry sea scallops
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or other high smoke point oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 small sage leaves
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- In the meantime, pat the scallops very dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the sea scallops with salt and pepper, to season.
- When the pan is hot, add the oil, then drop in your scallops, giving them enough room in between so they don’t steam each other. The scallops should make a sizzling noise when you put them in the pan.
- Cook the scallops for 2 minutes, making sure not to move them or touch them at all.
- Flip the scallops over with a pair of tongs and let the scallops cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove the scallops from the pan to rest.
- In the same skillet, add and cook the butter with the sage until the butter is fragrant and nutty, about 3 minutes – golden brown, season with salt and pepper and pour to dress the scallops.
Ingredients for Risotto:
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1½ cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
- Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed, and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ingredients for Cod:
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 orange, sliced thin
- 2 - 4, 6 ounce black cod / sable, any white fish fillets
- 1/8 cup white wine of choice
- kosher salt, to season
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves, larger ones cut into a chiffonade
- 1/2 cup tarragon leaves, larger ones cut smaller
- 1/2 cup chives, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3/4 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup dill sprigs
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fold a 14"x12" piece of parchment paper in half. Using kitchen shears, cut the parchment into a heart shape.
- Arrange fennel, onion, and orange slices on one side of the paper. Top with fish. Add a splash of wine and/or broth to keep the fish moist and create a sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Working from one end, begin tightly folding the open edge of the paper. Continue folding the paper's open edge to form a seal. Transfer the packet to a rimmed baking sheet and bake.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, remove from heat and let sit 2 minutes.
- While papillote is cooking, wash the all herbs gently and dry them in a salad spinner or in a towel. Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the leaves with enough of the dressing to coat them lightly. Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully open packets and top with fennel frons to serve.