Pan Fried Dumplings with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce (KIMCHEE MONDU)
Serves: 10 (40 dumplings)
- cheese cloth
- 40 dumpling wrappers
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 cup packed finely chopped cabbage kimchi
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- 10 ounces mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 to 3 scallions
- 8 ounces ground pork or beef (or mix)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger or juiced, about 1” piece
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru, Korean red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup neutral oil like avocado or peanut
Procedure for Dumplings:
- Finely chop the kimchi and squeeze out excess liquid by hand.
- Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water, drain, chop, and squeeze out water.
- Squeeze out water from the tofu. Using a cheesecloth will make squeezing easier.
- Finely chop the noodles.
- Finely chop the onion and squeeze out water.
- Finely chop the scallions.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Have a platter brushed with some sesame oil prepared as a landing spot for boiled dumplings.
- Place one heaping teaspoonful to a tablespoon of the filling on a wrapper, less is more. Wet the edges of the wrapper with water or egg wash and seal tightly (pushing the air out with your fingers) into a half-moon shape (stop here if you want a half-moon shape dumpling).
- Then, bring the two ends together, apply water or egg wash to one end and press tightly to create a round shape. Repeat this process until all the filling/wrappers are used.
- Boil dumplings, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom. Once they float to the top – using a spider or slotted spoon remove from the water and hold on the prepared plate.
- Add avocado oil to a skillet and heat until hot. Fry dumplings until golden brown on the bottom, about 3 - 4 minutes, no need to flip.
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- black pepper
Procedure for Dipping Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl for dipping.
- Serve with dumplings.