Servings: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Dipping Sauce:
- ⅓ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- ½ teaspoon Korean red pepper flakes or crushed red pepper (optional)
Ingredients for Pancakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 9 ounces sparkling water, cold
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and grated
- 8 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- To make the Sauce: combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat. Whisk the sauce and turn the heat down to medium-low. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until slightly reduced and thickened.
- To make the Pancakes: In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the seltzer, egg, and grated garlic. Stir gently with a spatula until just combined (there will be lumps). Fold in half of the scallions and half of the carrots.
- Heat two tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a 10" cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering, pour in half of the batter and use the spatula to spread the batter out toward the edges of the pan. Scatter half of the remaining scallions and carrots over the top of the raw batter. Use the spatula to make sure they are partially submerged in the batter so they won't fall off when you flip the pancake.
- Fry for 4 to 5 minutes, until the pancake is golden brown and the vegetables are lightly charred. Flip and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes on the other side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and repeat the process with the second half of the batter and veggies. Slice the cooked pancakes into pieces and serve with the warm dipping sauce.