No Waste Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Whipped Butter
Happy Earth Day! We're wasting not one bit with this incredible zucchini bread! Chef Joel and our buddies at Breville are using the entire zucchini, from stem to end. Join them for this eco-friendly, wasteless event on April 22 @ 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Now go hug a tree!
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium sized zucchinis, including the stems)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- non-stick cooking spray, to grease pan
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and generously grease the bottom of a 9x5” nonstick loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugars and the eggs together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low, stream the oil into the egg mixture just until combined and then add in the zucchini, sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer off and add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then mix on low speed until the flour is incorporated. Continue the process with the remaining flour until everything is combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and, using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- While the zucchini bread is cooking, make the whipped butter. To a clean stand mixer bowl, add the softened butter. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter on medium speed for 3 - 5 minutes, until the butter is fluffy and almost white in color. Remove to a small bowl to serve with the chocolate zucchini bread.
- When the middle part of the top of the zucchini bread springs back to the touch, it is time to remove from the oven. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.