Mom’s Beef Stroganoff
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons white onion, chopped
- 1 pound. good quality beef (sirloin, tenderloin), cut into thin strips
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- egg noodles, to serve
- Heat 1½ tablespoon butter in a large sauté pan over medium low heat.
- Add the onions, season with salt and sauté, 3 - 5 minutes, until just golden. Remove onion with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Raise the heat to high and add the sliced meat into the pan. Season with salt and cook for 5 minutes, until the meat has fully browned and then remove from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and melt the remaining 1½ tablespoon of butter.
- Add in the mushroom to the pan and season with salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Lower heat, add sour cream until just heated (never boil sour cream, it curdles) Add onions and meat. Serve over boiled noodles.