Lobster Club Sandwich
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
- 1 Pound Lobster Meat (approximate yield is 3.5 - 4 oz. of Lobster Meat from 1 Pound of Lobster)
- ½ Avocado, ripe
- 2 TBSP Fresh Dill, roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ - 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ Cup Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil)
- 1 Heirloom Tomato
- 8 Slices Applewood Smoked Bacon, cooked
- 6 Slices Oroweat Buttermilk or Sourdough Bread, toasted (or your favorite Oroweat bread)
- Butter Lettuce or Romaine Lettuce, stems removed
- Kosher Salt, as needed
- To cook the lobster(s): bring a large stockpot- we want to ensure the lobster is not crowded- of salted water to a boil. Place the live lobster(s) headfirst in the pot. Cover and once the water comes back to a rolling boil begin timing: 1.25 pound lobster – 6 to 7 minutes; 1.5 pound lobster – 7 to 9 minutes; 2 pound lobster – 10 to 12 minutes; 3 pound lobster – 12 to 13 minutes; 5 to 6 pound lobster – 18 to 20 minutes. To check if done, using a probe thermometer: the internal temperature on the underside of the tail closest to the body should be 135F to 140F
- Using a pair of tongs, carefully remove the lobster(s) from the pot and place in a large bowl. Use a sharp paring knife to pierce the tail and body (this helps the hot water drain away so you don’t get burned or make a huge mess). Cover the lobsters in ice and water- 30% water and 70% ice. Once chilled remove the lobster meat.
- To make the Herbed Avocado “Mayo”: in the bowl of a food processor or blender place the flesh of ½ of an avocado, roughly chopped dill and cilantro, lemon zest, juice from ½ the lemon-about 2 tablespoons-and cayenne pepper. Blend until the avocado starts to become creamy. Turn it off and add the avocado oil and blend again until smooth. Taste and season with salt and more lemon juice, as needed.
- Slice the lobster meat until chunks that are about ½ inch big. You’ll have smaller pieces from the leg and knuckles but the claw and tail should be cut into larger chunks.
- Arrange two slices of toasted Oroweat Sourdough bread on a clean cutting board. Spread a thick layer of the avocado “mayo” on both slices of bread. Begin building on one slice, starting with the lettuce as the base. Put a good heap of lobster meat and season with salt and a little lemon juice. Top the lobster meat with a slice of tomato (or two) and season with a little salt. Arrange two pieces of bacon on top of the tomato and place the plain toasted slice of Oroweat Sourdough on top. Repeat, ending with the second slice of toast with the avocado “mayo” on it.
- Use two long toothpicks on opposite corners of the sandwich to hold it together. Slice on a diagonal.