Lentil & Cauliflower Shepherd's Pie
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup dried green or brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 pint mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley
- Fit a basket steamer to a pot with a fitted lid and fill the bottom of the pot with a couple inches of water. Place on medium heat. Break down the cauliflower into 1 ½ inch florets-including the stem-and steam until just fork tender. This may need to be done in batches.
- Blend the steamed cauliflower along with the butter, all of the sour cream and a big pinch of salt until smooth. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot, warm a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 to 5 minutes until caramelized. Stir in the tomato paste, lentils, all of the stock and the thyme as well as a large pinch of salt. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- While the lentils are simmering, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large saute pan warm the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and saute the carrots and mushrooms. Add in the walnuts, peas, tamari, maple syrup and season with salt and pepper. Chop the parsley and stir half into the filling, setting the other half aside for garnish.
- Strain off any excess liquid from the lentils and add to the saute pan. Stir and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the filling to a casserole dish, top with the creamy cauliflower, sprinkle on the shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and browned. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.