Lamb Banh Mi Burger with our buddies at the American Lamb Board
Grilling season kicked off May 1st, with the Outdoor Cooking Adventures with the American Lamb Board! Visit AmericanLamb.com to explore recipes, instructional resources, and all things lamb! While you’re there, be sure to check out the Outdoor Cooking Adventures with American Lamb page for a contest you won’t want to miss (ends July 31st). You can also follow over on Instagram @fanoflamb for more inspiration!
And just in time for Memorial Day, we're bringing you this epic virtual cooking event with our buddies at the American Lamb Board! We're lighting the charcoal and getting outside to show you the most epic take on a burger you have ever seen! The key is American Lamb, with the perfect fat content and a clean finish, this Vietnamese take on a burger will be your go-to all summer long! AND . . . the American Lamb Board will be giving out a recipe booklet with outdoor cooking recipes as well as an insulated reusable grocery bag to all participants, deets on how to snag yours in the event. We can't wait to get behind the grill with you!
Ingredients for Pickled Vegetables:
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 medium carrots, shaved into ribbons
- 1 english cucumber, shaved into ribbons
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
Ingredients for the Burger:
- 1 pound American ground lamb
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 3 teaspoon sriracha, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 kaiser buns or brioche buns
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, sugar, and a big pinch of salt until the sugar has dissolved. Add in the carrots, cucumbers and jalapenos and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the vegetables to pickle.
- In a separate bowl mix together the ground lamb, garlic, ginger, green onions, fish sauce, honey, lime zest and 1 teaspoon of sriracha, and season with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form into patties.
- Place on the hot grill and cook for 5 minutes per side, until an internal temperature of 150°F is reached. Remove to a plate and allow the burgers to rest for 2 - 3 minutes.
- While the burgers are resting, stir together the remaining 2 teaspoons of sriracha and the mayonnaise.
- Spread some of the sriracha mayonnaise onto the bottom and tops burger buns. To the bottom bun, place the cooked lamb burger and a handful of the pickled vegetables. Finish the burger with the fresh cilantro leaves and the top burger bun.