Korean Cooking Club - Korean BBQ with Quick Pickled Kimchi and Sticky Rice
NOTE - For this club meeting, you will need to marinate the short ribs 6 - 8 hours before class, or even over night! Procedure is below.
Ingredients for Korean BBQ (Kalbi):
- 3 - 4 pounds cross-cut beef short ribs, about 1/3-inch thick
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 Korean/Asian pear, grated
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
- 6 plump cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (about 1 inch chunk)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced – white separated from the green
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
BEFORE CLUB MEETING:
- Marinate: Rinse the ribs to wash off bone dust, pat dry. Whisk remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Marinate the meat for 6 – 8 hours (overnight for best results). The thicker the meat, the longer you’ll want to marinate.
DURING CLUB MEETING:
- Broil: We're going to broil them – but if I was having a party I would grill outside! Set the oven to broil HI and preheat. Lay the meat in a single layer on a broiling pan and place it on the top rack of the oven, usually about 6 inches below the broiler. Cook until the ribs are slightly charred and caramelized, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip them over and cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes.
- Grill: Preheat the grill over medium-high heat. Grill the short ribs, turning only once, 2 – 3 minutes on each side. It’s best to grill over charcoal or wood charcoal (soot bul), but a gas grill or a grill pan over the stove top works well too.
Ingredients for Kimchi:
- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1/4 inch thick kosher salt
- 1/4 cup untoasted sesame oil
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced 2 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean coarse red pepper powder; this is really important to find the real deal)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 3 tablespoons sprite (or 1/2 lemon zested & 1/2 lime zested and a splash of soda water)
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian fish sauce (optional)
Procedure for Kimchi:
- Toss cucumbers in a colander with salt and allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Rinse cucumbers well, toss in kimchee marinade and add another 2 pinches of salt. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
Ingredients for Sticky Rice:
- 1 cup of uncooked sushi rice – Botan or Kokoho
Procedure for Sticky Rice:
- Add rice to a medium saucepan with a lid.
- Rinse the rice 3 times until the water runs clear.
- Add water to the pan using your index finger as a guide. Add water until it hits the first line on joint. Bring to a boil – reduce to low.
- Add the lid and steam for 15 min.
- Allow to sit with the lid on for at least 5 minutes but the longer the better. Resist the urge to peak at any point during the cooking process! The steam is really important to its cooking time, opening the lid will release it!