Korean Cooking Club - Black Spaghetti
INSERT IMG W/ USO BADGE HERE
Join us for our latest installment in the Military Spouse Connections Series: In the Kitchen with Chef Joel Gamoran! This 30-minute, interactive session includes a live cooking demonstration from celebrity chef, Joel Gamoran! Requiring only five ingredients and five kitchen tools, Joel will lead us through making this dish using a simple and healthy recipe that’s sure to please your family. All participants are invited to join Chef Joel on camera, and children are welcome to join in the cooking fun! Prior to the event, all registrants will receive an email with the recipe, ingredients, and instructions.
We’ll spend 30 minutes cooking, and we’ll reserve the remaining 30 minutes for Q&A with Joel. Got kitchen questions? Bring them and get answers live!
INSERT RECIPE COPY W/ CTA YHERE
- 1½ pounds of russet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 large egg
- 1 - 1½ cups all purpose flour
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, julienned
Pantry ingredients: butter, kosher salt, parmigiano reggiano (to finish)5 Tools:
- Large pot w/ strainer
- Large bowl
- Potato masher
- Non-stick skillet
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Strain the potatoes into a bowl, being sure to shake out the excess water. Reserve the boiling water for later.
- Using a potato masher, break up the potatoes until they are smooth and have cooled off, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Beat the egg in a bowl along with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Make a well in the center of the potatoes and add the egg. Using a fork, begin to whisk the egg into the potatoes incorporating the two together.
- Sprinkle in about a cup of the flour and begin to work it into the dough. If the dough feels too wet, add up to 1/2 cup more flour. Gently knead the dough, until a smooth ball forms.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and cover with plastic wrap to prevent from drying out.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your fingers to roll out the gnocchi dough into a long skinny roll.
- Cut off one inch pieces of the ropes and using the back of a fork, gently roll the gnocchi down the tines of the fork. Repeat with all of the remaining gnocchi dough.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat and add in 4 tablespoons of butter. Allow the butter to melt and begin to brown. Add in the sage and cook for about a minute. Stir in a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and remove browned butter from direct heat to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile, drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, until the gnocchi float to the top.
- Strain the gnocchi directly into the brown butter sauce and toss to combine, browning over low heat.
- Add kosher salt to taste. Serve with grated parmigiano cheese over the top.