Italian Pizza Classica
Servings: 1 - 2 per pizza, will make 4 dough balls
Prep Time: 48 - 72 hours
Cook Time: 10 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Dough (Day 1 of 3 for prep):
- 787 grams Tipo “00” flour
- 470 grams cold water
- 7 grams instant yeast
- 14 grams sugar
- 18 grams salt
- 28 grams extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed or ground San Marzano or Parma tomatoes
- Sea salt, to taste
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
Procedure for Dough (Day 1 of 3 for prep):
- Place the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center large enough to hold ALL of the water (essentially a bowl inside your bowl); pour in all the water.
- Add the sugar and yeast to the water. Using your fingers as a whisk and start mixing, being mindful of keeping the walls of the flour wall intact at first. Slowly start incorporating the flour into the water mixture, gradually mixing more and more until it has the consistency of pancake batter.
- Keep bringing in the flour until you have a thick dough. Add olive oil slowly and mix it in until the dough is smooth. Sprinkle salt on to your dough and begin to knead.
- Turn the dough onto your counter and continue to knead, incorporating any remaining shaggy bits of dough. Continue kneading until the dough is well mixed and semi-smooth.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap OR cover with the bowl you used for mixing and allow it to rest for 20 minutes at room temperature. After 20 minutes your dough ball should be smooth and elastic.
- Divide your dough ball into 4 equal portions. Cloak your balls of dough into tight balls: turn your dough over and close up the open parts by pinching the ends together. Repeat steps 5 and 6 with the second portion.
- Place each dough in a separate oiled ziplock labeled Pizza Classica with date. Place in the freezer.
48 HOURS BEFORE CLASS: REMOVE THE DOUGH FROM THE FREEZER AND PLACE IN THE REFRIGERATOR. THIS IS THE COLD FERMENT.
Procedure (Day 3 of 3 for prep):
30 Minutes Before Class: Remove the dough from the refrigerator, keeping them covered and only taking out what you will bake today.
- Place a stone in the bottom 3rd and top 3rd of the oven. If you only have one stone, place one on the bottom. If you don’t have a stone at all, place a baking sheet in the center of the oven to preheat with the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (with the stones heating up with the oven).
- Hand stretch your dough, first using your fingertips followed by your hands.
- Put a generous amount of flour on the pizza peel or inverted tray followed by the dough. Give it a shake to make sure the dough will slide off; if not, add more flour to the bottom.
- Spoon the sauce on the base, top with the cheese and whole leaf basil. Drizzle the top with some olive oil.
- Slide onto the stone and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cut into 4 pieces - eat hot!