Fresh Pad Thai
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Sauce:
- ¼ cup vegetable or mushroom broth
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sambal or Sriracha (more or less, to taste)
Ingredients for Stir Fry:
- 8 ounces dried Pad Thai rice noodles
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts, ground
- avocado or coconut oil (or other neutral oil), as needed
- lime wedges, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, for serving
- Place the dried noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow them to sit for 15 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside (if you’re doing this well in advance, toss the noodles with a bit of sesame oil to prevent them from sticking).
- To make Sauce: In a medium bowl whisk together the broth, brown sugar and tamarind paste until smooth and combined. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce and sambal or Sriracha (start with the smaller amount first). Taste and adjust as needed with more sugar, fish sauce and sambal. It should be a strong but nice balance between sweet, sour and spicy.
- In a wok or large cast iron pan over high heat add approximately 3 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is shimmering and hot add the tofu cubes and cook until golden brown, flipping as needed to ensure all sides get browned. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate or tray.
- Add more oil if needed to have about 2 tablespoons in the wok or pan and return to medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to brown-about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Push the carrots and shallots to the side and add the egg. Scramble and then break into pieces, mixing the egg in with the veg. Add the noodles and sauce and toss to combine. Cook for 2 minutes then add the tofu; cook for an additional 2 or 3 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and coating everything evenly.
- Remove from the heat. Plate up and garnish with the scallions, bean sprouts, peanuts, lime wedges and cilantro.