Homemade Honeycomb Bars with Our Buddies at The Nature Conservancy
It's WORLD BEE DAY - how are you celebrating? How about you join Homemade and TNC to honor these amazing little pollinators that play such an incredibly important role for people, nature, and the food we love!
Makes: 24 bars
Ingredients for Cookie Base:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup malted milk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Ingredients for Nutty Caramel:
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Ingredients for Honeycomb:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 13 cake pan. Line the pan with parchment paper allowing some overhang and spray the cooking spray onto the paper as well.
- In a large bowl combine the beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract until combined.
- Stir in the flour, malted milk powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the dough to the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Place in the oven to bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the honey and unsalted butter together in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until the mixture is bubbly. Remove from the heat and fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Carefully pour the hot caramel over the cookie base and place in the oven to bake for 8 minutes, or until the caramel is golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and set aside while you make the honeycomb.
- In a separate medium-sized saucepan on medium-low, combine the honey and sugar. Stir together the ingredients and allow to heat until it reaches 300°F on a thermometer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and using a rubber spatula, quickly and carefully stir in the sifted baking soda until it has fully dissolved. The mixture will bubble up and foam at this point, which is what you are looking for.
- Carefully pour the honeycomb in an even layer over the baked shortbread, being sure not to overfill the pan.
- After about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and cut into bars.