Hearty Turkey Chili
GIVEAWAY TIME! We are giving away our favorite GLOBAL Osaka 6-Piece Knife Block Set ($399 value).
Attend the live class and cook along to be part of the fun and eligible to win!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Cornbread:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (or 1 to 1 flour)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal, fine or coarse
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Ingredients for the Chili:
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried cumin
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 – 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15 ounce can diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes, diced)
- olive oil, as needed
- kosher salt, to taste
Ingredients for the Corn Salsa (for garnish):
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned), charred
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 3 tablespoons queso fresco, crumbled (or feta)
- Lime juice, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- For the cornbread: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter or grease a 10” cast iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt until well mixed.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cream, milk and egg.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the well and slowly begin mixing from the center outwards to gradually combine. When the batter is about halfway mixed add half of the cheddar cheese. Stir until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and top with remaining cheese. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes.
- For the chili: In a large skillet over medium heat place enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 5 minutes until they are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute until it is aromatic; add a generous pinch of salt along with the chili powder, oregano and cumin and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and break it up into chunks with your spoon or spatula. Allow the turkey to brown for approximately 4 minutes before stirring to brown the other side. Tip in the corn kernels and stir, followed by the black beans and diced tomatoes. Fill the tomato can with water and set aside (or, if using fresh tomatoes, have a cup of water handy). Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. If it starts to look too dry add some water to it.
- For the corn salsa: In a medium bowl combine the corn kernels, green onion, jalapeno and garlic. Stir to combine. Add the cilantro, tomato and queso fresco. Taste and add lime juice and salt as needed.
- To finish the chili: Remove from the heat and taste; adjust seasoning with more chili powder and salt, as needed. Garnish with the corn salsa and serve with the cornbread.