Healthyish Berry Crostata
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 ½ cups Earthbound Farm Organic Riced Cauliflower
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for cooking the cauliflower
- 1 egg
Ingredients for Filling:
- 3 cups frozen Earthbound Farm Organic Mixed Berries
- 5 teaspoons granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten well, for brushing
- Demerara sugar (sugar in the raw) for sprinkling
Ingredients for Whipped Yogurt:
- 1 ½ cups greek style yogurt, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bring a pot of water up to a boil. Salt the water and add the riced cauliflower. Cook for 1 minutes then drain. Transfer the cauliflower to cheesecloth or paper towels and do your best to ring out as much moisture as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. Add the cauliflower and egg and, using your hand or a spoon, stir to combine. The dough shouldn’t be sticky so add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed. Knead the dough until it comes together in a ball. Flatten it into a disc, wrap in plastic and transfer to the refrigerator or freezer.
- To make Filling: In a medium bowl toss the frozen berries with the sugar, lemon zest, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- Lightly flour the countertop. Place your dough in the center and lightly flour the top of the dough. Roll the dough into a circle that is ¼ inch thick, picking it up and rotating it every couple of rolls to prevent sticking. Transfer the dough to the sheet tray.
- Pile the berries in the center of the dough. Fold the edges up and around the berries, folding the sides to create pleats. Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Dust the edges with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow it to cool before cutting into it.
- To make Whipped Yogurt: In a cold stainless steel bowl (or glass) whisk together the yogurt, vanilla, maple and pinch of salt until combined. Vigorously whisk until the whipped yogurt reaches desired thickness. Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking. (Alternatively, you can use a stand or hand mixer with the paddle attachment).