Hand Pulled Wok Fried Noodles
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 250 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 125 mL (½ cup plus 1 teaspoon) water
- Vegetable, avocado or other neutral flavored oil, as needed
- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Chili flakes, to taste
- Chili powder, to taste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Toasted peanuts, roughly chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, stems and leaves roughly chopped, for garnish (optional)
- To make the noodles: In a large bowl stir together the flour and salt. Using chopsticks or your hand, stir in the water until you have a shaggy dough. Use your hand to knead the dough a few times until it just comes together. Cover the dough directly with plastic wrap and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes turn the dough out onto the counter top and knead until a smooth, supple dough forms, approximately 3 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each piece into a ½ inch thick rectangle. Coat both sides with oil, place on a sheet tray or plate and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for at least 1 ½ hours. (The dough can be made 24 hours ahead of time and refrigerated. Allow to come up to room temperature before pulling.)
- Bring a skillet of salted water to a boil. Being mindful not to stretch the dough, divide one half of the dough into 1 inch wide sections. Carefully lift one section up, gently stretch either end and bounce the noodle a few times on the counter. Drop in the water and repeat until all the noodles are made.
- Cook for 2 minutes then scoop out of the water to a bowl. Toss with a little bit of oil to prevent sticking. Repeat with the other half of the dough so that you have two portions.
- To make the sauce: In a large wok over high heat pour in approximately 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is shimmering add the ground lamb, cumin and a few generous pinches of salt and fry, stirring frequently and breaking it into small pieces for 5 minutes, until browned and mostly cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Return the wok to high heat and pour in another 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the scallions, garlic, chili flakes and chili powder; cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Add the noodles and ground lamb to the wok along with soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Cook, tossing frequently, until the noodles are just browning a bit.
- Transfer to a large platter and garnish with toasted peanuts and cilantro.