Grilled Fish Tacos with a Pineapple Chiller with our buddies at GLOBAL
Memorial Day is right around the corner guys! We're making a refreshing cocktail and these killer fish tacos with our buddies at GLOBAL Cutlery. We can't wait to cook with you!
Cocktail Serves: 1
Tacos Serve: 2 - 4
Ingredients for Cocktail:
- 1 pineapple
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1½ ounces white rum or silver tequila
- 1½ ounces pure coconut water
- soda water, to top
- lime wedge, to garnish
Procedure for Cocktail:
- Cut the pineapple by laying it on its side and using a serrated knife to slice off the crown and the base of the pineapple.
- Stand the pineapple up on a flat surface to remove the rind by starting at the top about a 1/4 inch in from the edge and following the curve of the pineapple as you slice downward along the rind.
- Repeat around the pineapple until all of the rind has been removed. Use the knife to slice off any eyes on the side that did not get removed with the rind.
- Lay the pineapple on its side and slice 2 rings that are 1 inch thick. Set these aside for the tacos.
- Stand the pineapple back up and cut into quarters lengthwise. Slice off the core from the center of each quarter.
- Cube the pineapples quarters.
- To make the cocktail, add 1/4 cup cubed pineapple, the juice of half a lime, the white rum and coconut water to a collins glass.
- Use a muddler to mash the pineapple and combine it with the other ingredients.
- Fill the glass with ice. Top with soda water and garnish with a lime wedge.
Ingredients for Tacos:
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 pounds mahi mahi filets, or other flakey white fish such as halibut or cod
- 2 - 1 inch thick fresh pineapple rings
- 1 cup purple cabbage, finely shaven
- 1 cup green cabbage, finely shaven
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 8 white corn tortillas, to serve
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Procedure for Tacos:
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, 1 tablespoon of salt, and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to make a paste
- Gently rub the filets with the spice paste on all sides and set aside.
- Drizzle the pineapple rings with a bit of oil and place on the grill pan to cook for 2 minutes per side, until lightly charred. Remove from the heat and diced into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the grilled pineapple, purple and green cabbages, red onion, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, cilantro and a tablespoon of salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, hot sauce and remaining lime juice and season to taste.
- Place the tortillas on the heated grill pan for 15 - 30 seconds per side, or until warmed through with light grill marks. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel until ready to build the tacos.
- Place the fish filets on the grill pan and cook for 3 - 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Build the tacos by breaking up the cooked fish and adding some to the bottom of a warm tortilla. Top with the cabbage and a drizzle of creamy hot sauce.