Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 40 min
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- kosher salt, as needed
- freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- olive oil, as needed
- In a large stockpot heat enough olive oil to barely coat the bottom of the pot over medium high heat. Add in the onion and cook for 3 minutes, until it has softened slightly. Stir in the celery, carrot and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes until the onions are translucent and the garlic is aromatic.
- Sprinkle in the brown rice and stir to coat. Pour the broth in the pot and toss in the bay leaf. Bring the whole thing up to a boil then lower until it’s gently simmering; cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- While the soup is cooking, heat approximately ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in to pan once the oil is hot. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes until golden brown then flip, cooking for an additional 5 to 6 minutes- depending on the thickness of the chicken-until the chicken is cooked all the way through (the internal temperature is 165°F). Transfer to a cutting board or plate and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup of the broth and approximately ¼ cup of the rice to the carafe of a blender or into a mixing bowl along with the lemon juice and eggs. Blend on high speed (or use an immersion blender to blend in the bowl) until smooth and creamy.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces and add to the stock pot. Remove from the heat and stir in the blended mixture. Taste and season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice as needed.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and garnish with the fresh chopped dill.