Savory Pork Belly Buns
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Pork Belly:
- 1 ½ pounds skin on pork belly, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- Kosher salt, as needed
Ingredients for Glaze:
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (from 2 large navel oranges)
- ¼ cup sake (or 2 teaspoons of honey)
- ½ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
Ingredients for Gochujang Mayonnaise:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 - 2 teaspoons gochujang (or sriracha)
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Serving:
- 4 Bao buns
- shredded lettuce
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 small red onion, pickled- thinly sliced, soaked in red wine vinegar
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat BOV900 on ROAST at 400°F Convection for 40min in rack position 6.
- Using a sharp knife or metal skewer, poke a number of holes all over the pork skin, taking care not to puncture down into the meat. Season generously with kosher salt then flip over.
- Season the meat with kosher salt and Chinese five spice using your hands to rub it all over .
- Flip the pork belly back over and cut into 2 x 2 inch squares. Line a tray with aluminum foil then place a rack on top of it. Arrange the pork pieces on the rack so there is plenty of space between each one. Pat the skin dry with a paper towel.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until the skin is a dark golden brown and the edges have caramelized.
- To make the glaze: In a small sauce pot over medium heat, stir the orange juice, saké (or honey), soy sauce and Sriracha together. Bring to a simmer then allow to cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 20 minutes until is the glaze is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- To make the gochujang mayonnaise: In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and gochujang together until completely combined. Season with lime juice, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Switch the oven to broil. Using a spoon or pastry brush, coat the pieces of pork belly with the glaze—use all of it! Broil until the glaze is aromatic and bubbling, approximately 2 minutes.
- To serve: Cut the pork belly into squares or strips. Slather the gochujang mayonnaise on the four buns, divide the pork belly evenly, then garnish with toppings of your choice such as shredded carrots, pickled red onions, cilantro.